Summer Tax Due Date
Summer taxes are due October 2, 2023 by 4:00 p.m. Eastern Time.
See below for ways to submit your payment.
Winter Tax Due Date
Winter taxes are due February 14, 2024 by 4:00 p.m. Eastern Time
Mail tax payments to:
City of New Buffalo
224 W. Buffalo
New Buffalo, MI 49117
Postmarks are NOT counted as the payment date.
Late payments are assessed a 4% penalty.
How can I pay my taxes safely and contact free?
- Mail your taxes in. Please write your phone number on your check or the tax payment stub so we can contact you if there is a problem with your payment.
- Drop your payment in the drop box at the entrance to City Hall.
- Pay online at cityofnewbuffalomi.gov. Click the link below to pay taxes online. You can search by name, address or parcel number. The current amount owed and payment history can also be viewed online.
Please note: There is a convenience fee for these 3rd party payment services:
- Credit or debit card fee: 3% ($2 minimum)
- E-check: there is a flat $3 convenience fee for up to $10,000; $10.00 for amounts over $10,000.
If you would like a receipt:
Return your whole tax bill with your payment when paying by mail or dropbox. Enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope and a receipt will be sent back to you.
Summer tax bills are mailed July 1 and are payable through October 1 without penalty. Summer taxes not paid by October 1 are assessed a 4% penalty. Payments can be made at City Hall or on our website through March 1 of the following calendar year. For example, 2020 summer taxes, due October 1, 2020, can be paid through March 1, 2021.
Winter tax bills are mailed December 1 and are payable through February 16 without penalty. Winter taxes not paid by February 16 are assessed a 4% penalty. Payments can be made at City Hall or on our website through March 1, 2022. For example, 2020 winter taxes, due February 16, 2021 can be paid through March 1, 2021.
Beginning March 2, delinquent taxes MUST be paid to the Berrien County Treasurer in St. Joseph with additional penalty and interest. Please contact the Berrien County Treasurer at 269-983-7111 extension 8569 or visit their website.
Both tax bills cover a calendar year - January through December.
You can also check your payment status online on our website.
Questions? Call City Hall at (269) 469-1500.
Senior Summer Deferments
Seniors who meet the qualifications can defer payment of summer taxes until February by filing the deferment form with the tax department.
To qualify, seniors must:
- own and occupy their home and
- must be 62 years of age and
- either paraplegic, quadriplegic, eligible service person, eligible veteran, eligible widow or widower, blind or permanently disabled and
- annual income under $25,000.
Homestead Property Tax Credit
Seniors must file a Homestead Property Tax Credit form with the State of Michigan (as part of the Michigan 1040 form) and qualify for a refund.
For more information, visit www.michigan.gov