How to Register to Vote
There are three ways to register to vote:
- At the Secretary of State (DMV) office
- At your local Clerk's office
- By mail
What kind of identification do I need to show to register?
If you hand-deliver your application, the staff person helping you will take your form and ask you to provide photo identification. If you do not have an acceptable form of photo identification, you will be asked to sign an Affidavit of Voter not in Possession of Picture Identification.
If you have never registered to vote in Michigan and choose to mail in your application, you will need to meet an identification requirement. This means you must:
- Enter your driver's license number or personal identification card number where requested on the form, or
- Send a copy of one of the following forms of identification with your application:
- A photocopy of your driver's license or personal ID card, or
- A photocopy of a paycheck stub, utility bill, bank document or government document that lists both your name and your address.
- OR if you are unable to fulfill this requirement at the time of registration, you may provide one of the above items at the polls on election day to complete the process.
NEVER SEND AN ORIGINAL DOCUMENT as proof of identification!